Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Dark Night Rises with many Super Heroes.

11:35 p.m. Nightline comes on and my daughter and I are glued to the boob tube.

Let me take you back to late Thursday night to early Friday morning.  I was in all my glory sitting and cruising the internet and watching several movies with my eight year old, waiting for my 21 year old to come home from "A Girls Night Out" for the first time since she turned 21 and now soon to be 22.  Of course my "spidey senses" go off all the time when my kids are not home, (especially now, my 13 year old has been gone for 2 weeks in Ohio) and I'm so ever TINGLING from head to toe.  Anyway, I have to stay on track here.  The night proceeded, she came home safe and sound, and chit-chatted about how fun her night was with her girl friends and the movie they saw "Magic Mike."  She talked about the types of appetizers and drinks they had and how they were going to play it safe and walk from the mall the movie theater to watch their show.  

Morning comes, I'm on my third cup of coffee and watching the end of "Live with Kelly" ready to watch "The Nate Show" and down comes my oldest daughter wide eyed and asking if I heard or watched the news this morning.  No, I had not yet and she filled me in on the shootings in Colorado.  At this time of the morning the news was over and all that was left was the internet.  Well, I caught bits and pieces here and there on the internet and really had to do my mommy duties so the full affect had not settled in yet, nor at the time was it important to me with all the things I wanted to get done for the day.  I had managed to get by through the weekend with tidbits here and there on what had happened with my busy weekend and lack of sleep with a teething baby, but still in the back of my mind all I could replay was Columbine.  I would shake my head and continue with what I was doing because the mere thought of the incident really put me off and something like this has always consumed me physically and mentally, especially since 9/11.   


Today (Monday)  was the first I was able to sit and catch what had happened when I watched Fox News http://video.foxnews.com/v/1750001061001/ and was rather stunned at what I was seeing.  I could not believe what was going on in James Holmes's mind.  You could say he was faking it, medicated or was so mentally out of it and reality finally caught up with him (what I mean is the demon left him to deal with the mess).  http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/james-holmes-red-haired-batman-movie-1156047


Now tonight on "Nightline" they talked about the four heroes that saved their loved ones lives. http://abcnews.go.com/watch/nightline/SH5584743/VD55221027/nightline-720-colorado-movie-theater-shooting-worst-in-us-history  As the interviews had ended and the next program proceeded I was left numb and confused. My daughter (tender hearted) was in tears and said, "I would not have wanted Erik to have done that for me, I don't know if I could live without him". Wow, is all I could think. My immediate reaction was, "I would have wanted him to do that, I could not live without you."  But, then again I think, what if that was my husband and I at the theater. He naturally would have jumped and took a bullet for me, his girls, or anyone that was in harms way, as would I. Then he would have stormed him like a ragging bull when the opportune time came. All I can say is when you listen to the stories and think of the lives that were taken how can you not be scared to do anything.  For instance Jessica Ghawi, last month was spared of a tragedy that happened in Toronto and wrote in her blog after that incident, "I saw the terror on bystanders' faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don't know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." Wow, I get goose bumps every time I read that and think if only she knew what was coming.  You can go here to read the full article. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/20/157128444/the-tragedy-of-jessica-ghawi-spared-in-toronto-she-died-in-colorado-shooting

I have no answers for what has happened or why.  I don't know why James Holmes withdrew from school and decided to rig his apartment in booby traps and go on a crazy spree.  He obviously had planned this strategically to have emergency responders at his residence when his alarm was planned to go off and to then go on his shooting spree.  I THANK GOD, literally that this booby trap did not go off.  Stop and think for a minute, shhhh, stop and think and let this really sink in.  If that alarm would have gone off at that time of the evening, can you imagine, with all the explosives that where there and the damage he could have done to the innocent people there and the amount of police, fire and emergency responders.  Then fast forward to the movie theater, he knows his trapped worked and now he has the whole theater and other joining theaters to invade.  HOLY CRAP!!  Again I thank GOD for the intervention.  It was a pure miracle that the bombs did not go off.  This article goes into depth of what was in his apartment.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2176934/James-Holmes-Detonation-possible-Dark-Knight-killers-booby-trapped-apartment-police-firefighters-prepare-enter.html

Now, from what I understand, next weeks court hearing will tell more on the future of James Holmes and if the Prosecuting Attorney will be pursing the death penalty or life in prison without parole.  Phew, as a christian woman I have mixed feelings about the death penalty and life in prison.  First, I would want an eye for an eye, but then I know God will filter this all out in the end.  As a parent, I again, would want revenge.  I don't think that is wrong to want or have that feeling, but when do you let go and learn to live with that feeling of not getting back at the one who stole your loved ones or about killed you?  Second, do we want our tax money going to a support a crazy person, where, lets face it in some cases some prisoners get an education, free cable (which I don't have), meals (rather it is bread and water, some of our struggling US citizens don't even get that) and so forth?  I hate to say it but maybe it is better that he does serve life in prison under solitary confinement because rumor has it that people want him dead in prison for killing a six year old.

I have to put a good note in here to make me sleep better tonight.  Katie and Caleb Medley had a beautiful baby boy named Hugo.  Prayers goes to this family as the father is still fighting for his life and mom is still recovering from being shot and giving birth.  Again, thank God for his many blessings.  Please go to Caleb's website and support the family however you can.  http://calebmedley.com/help

The Victims of Aurora, Colorado shooting: 
Jessica Ghawi, 24
Veronica Moser-Sullivan, 6
John T. Larimer, 27
Alexander J. Boik, 18
Jesse E. Childress, 29
Jonathan T. Blunk, 26
Rebecca Ann Wingo, 32
Alex M. Sullivan, 27
Gordon W. Cowdon, 52
Micayla C. Medek, 23
Alexander C. Teves, 24
Matthew R. McQuinn, 27


When my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. (Psalm 61:2)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. (Proverbs 3:5, 6ESV) 

5 comments:

  1. Such a sad situation, I spent the entire day that this happened glued to the t.v. bawling my eyes out! I'm a new follower from MBC, I'd love a follow back at sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, incredibly tragic and seemingly senseless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what u guys mean, and as a parent it just intensifies. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to all the victims and their families. This is all so senseless and tragic.

    Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica. I have been on a brain block lately. But still to this day I go back and read this.

      Delete